what’s a “flow merge”, and how is it different from a role object :v


This is actually a kinda non-trivial question. Early in the project, rôle objects were a new and fancy thing, I was still figuring out what cirque was and what it was all about and had no idea what effect it would have on technology

So I kinda threw around the phrase “rôle object” a lot and imprecisely

Now I have the distinction of “cirque technology”, so a flow merge is that

And rôle object has become a more specific word, which very specifically refers to transforming objects that help a person assume a certain role

The distinction in fact wasn’t in place yet in the post I just linked, so I said there flow merges were rôle objects but now they are not :p

Fancy rep1icaWatches for you, just like Aeterna-made

I was just kind of thinking about Kris’s flow merge

Originally I imagined it just being a bracelet but like, what if it was a watch

A really fancy watch with tessellated crystally blue diamond shapes, like one of those fake rolex type things

(They probably make some fairly fancy watches in Aeterna given watches are the major product of Aeterna, Aeterna, so in one way it only makes sense for other places like Easboro to try to cash in on that by making vaguely similar fancy watches for cheaper)

I’m imagining her doing this stylised gesture of swinging her arm over and pressing down the face like a button like it’s Literally The 90s,

Full entry

OCtober: Kris

Ok so it’s been kind of my sketchcanon for a while that Kris had a ‘hammerspace’ rôle object of some sort to keep stuff in.

Now I feel like, though she does have a sense for the practical, Kris is actually not a rough industrial type, she’s a medium-flashy type*—probably it’s not just her, but popular among women in Easboro to carry these accessories. The kind of thing “no woman in her right mind would be without”.

Men probably use them too, even at a fairly close frequency to women, just don’t as often customise them and use them as accessories… but of course there will be geeks who do just that and use them like a secret garage to keep a ton of tools in and hang up a stylish coat of arms in them or such.

This, probably, is Kris’s flowspace actually. She can probably step straight into it like in that one SNES game where the dude has a cube and he walks in and it has rooms and it’s his inventory (I wish I could remember what game that is, haha). And it’s probably this awesome Disney-esque geometric blue crystal castle thing, when I remember her old chat handle as a homestuck was crystallineSpiretops.

Hmm. Now what are they called. Flow merge? Flow chain? Space yoke? I don’t like any of those haha.
I’ll go with Flow merge/flow yoke I guess.